Prof. Gao is a distinguished professor at College of Energy, Soochow University since 2010, he was a professor at Chemistry Department of Nanchang University 2005-2010. Dr. Gao worked in USA for 8 years (1997-2005), and studied in Canada for 8 years (1989-1997). He earned his Ph.D in Chemistry from University of Ottawa in 1994, and B.Sc. from Department of Chemistry of Peking University in 1987. Dr. Gao’s research expertise is in the area of electrochemical energy storage and conversion, including supercapacitors, Li-ion/Na-ion batteries and electrocatalysis. Dr. Gao published about 100 papers, and applied over 40 patents. He has experience in Li-ion battery manufacturing.
1. Supercapacitors (pseudocapacitive materials，hybrid supercapacitors)
2. Li-ion/Na-ion batteries (anode and cathode materials, devices)
3. Electrocatalysis (Non-noble metal catalysts for HER and OER)
1. NSF project, “High energy electrochemical supercapacitors”, 20663005, 2006-2008.
2. National 863 energy conservation and new energy vehicles project, 2007-2009, “Measurement method of battery modules for EVs”, 2007AA11A102.
3. National 863 key technologies and system integration of EVs, 2011-2013，“Generic technology and evaluation system study of power batteries and key materials”, 2011AA11A235.
4. Soochow University and Canadian Solar Inc. joint project，2013-2015，Energy storage system development for PV applications.
6. NSF joint project, U1401248, “Fundamental research on supercapacitormaterials and devices”，2015-2018.
2012 Suzhou Gusu Talent
1994-1995 Post-doc. Fellow of NSERC
1992 Joseph Richards Fellowship of The Electrochemical Society
1. H. Wang, J. Li, X. Kuai, L. Bu, L. Gao*, X. Xiao*, Y. Gogotsi*, Enhanced rate capability of ion-accessible Ti3C2Tx-NbN hybrid electrodes, Adv. Energy Mater., 2001411, 2020.
2. H. Wang, J.M. Li, K. Li, Y.P. Lin, J.M. Chen, L. Gao, V. Nicolosi*, X. Xiao*, J.M. Lee*, Transition metal nitrides for electrochemical energy applications, Chem. Soc. Rev., doi.org/10.1039/D0CS00415D, 2020.
3. Y. Lin, H. Wang, C. Peng, L. Bu, C. Chiang, K. Tian, Y. Zhao, J. Zhao*, Y.G. Lin, J.M. Lee*, L. Gao*, Co-Induced Electronic Optimization of Hierarchical NiFe LDH for Oxygen Evolution, Small, 2002426, 2020.
4. L. Bu, X. Kuai, W. Zhu, X. Huang, K. Tian, H. Lu, J. Zhao*, L. Gao*, Nitrogen-Doped Double-Shell Hollow Carbon Spheres for Fast and Stable Sodium ion Storage, Electrochim. Acta, 356, 136804, 2020.
5. H. Lu, K. Tian, L. Bu, X. Huang, X. Li, Y. Zhao, F. Wang, J.M. Bai, J.Q. Zhao*, L. Gao*, Synergistic Effect from Coaxially Integrated CNTs@MoS2/MoO2 Composite Enables Fast and Stable Lithium Storage, J. Energy Chem., 55, 449-458, 2021.
6. K. Tian, H. Lu, L. Bu, X. Huang, C.L. Chiang, S. Yang,. Y. Zhao, Y.G. Lin*, J.Q. Zhao*, L. Gao*, Exploration of Lithium Storage Mechanism and Enhanced Cycling Stability of Binary Bi2Mo3O12 Oxide Anode Enabled by MXene-supported Composition, Batt. & Supercaps, 3, 1-11, 2020.
7. X. Huang, W. Zhu, J. Yao, L. Bu, X. Li, K. Tian, H. Lu, C. Quan, S. Xu, K. Xu, Z. Jiang, X. Zhang, L. Gao*, J. Zhao*, Suppressing Structural Degradation of Ni-rich Cathode Materials towards Improved Cycling Stability Enabled by a Li2MnO3 Coating, J. Mater. Chem. A., 8, 17429-17441, 2020.
8. H. Wang, Y.P. Lin, S. Liu, J. Li, L. Bu, J. Chen, X. Xiao*, J.H. Choi, L. Gao*, J.M. Lee*, Confined growth of pyridinic N-Mo2C sites on MXene for hydrogen evolution. J. Mater. Chem. A., 8, 7109-7116, 2020.
9. R.M. Irfan*, M.H. Tahir, M. Maqsood, T. Bashir, J. Zhao*, L. Gao*, M. Haroon, CoSe as Non-Noble-Metal Cocatalyst Integrated with Heterojunction Photosensitizer for Inexpensive H2 Production under Visible Light, J. Catalysis, 390, 196-205, 2020.
10. R.M. Irfan, M.H. Tahir, M. Maqsood, T. Bashir, J. Zhao*, L. Gao*, Fe3C/CdS as noble-metal-free composite photocatalyst for highly enhanced photocatalytic H2 production under visible light, Appl. Catalysis A: General, 603, 117768, 2020.
11. X.X. Kuai, S.W. Zhou, J.Q. Zhao*, L.J. Gao*, Pseudocapacitive behavior of amorphous Nb2O5 at low potentials, 科学通报, 64(32), 3364-3370, 2019.
12. S.L. Jiang, R.M. Huang*, W.C. Zhu, X. Li, Y. Zhao, Z.Q. Gao, L. Gao*, J.Q. Zhao*, Free-Standing SnO2@rGO Anode via the Anti-solvent-assisted Precipitation for Superior Lithium Storage Performance, Frontiers in Chemistry, 7:878, doi:10.3389/fchem.2019.00878, 2019.
13. H. Wang, X. Xiao, S.Y. Liu, C.L. Chiang, X.X. Kuai, C.K. Peng, Y.C. Lin, X. Meng, J.Q. Zhao, J. Choi,* Y.G. Lin, J.M. Lee,* and Lijun Gao*, Structural and Electronic Optimization of MoS2 Edges for Hydrogen Evolution, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 141, 18578-18584, 2019.
14. X. Dong, J. Yao, W.C. Zhu, X. Huang, X.X. Kuai, J. Tang, X.L. Li, S.Y. Dai, L.W. Shen, R.Z. Yang, L. Gao*, J.Q. Zhao*, Enhanced high-voltage cycling stability of Ni-rich cathode materials via the self-assembly of Mn-rich shells, J. Mater. Chem. A, 7, 20262-20273, 2019.
15. S.Y. Li, X.S. Song, X.X. Kuai, W.C. Zhu, K.Tian, X.F. Li*, M.Z. Chen, S.L.Chou, J.Q. Zhao*, Lijun Gao*, A nanoarchitectured Na6Fe5(SO4)8/CNTs cathode for building a low-cost 3.6 V sodium-ion full battery with superior sodium storage, J. Mater. Chem. A, 7, 14656-14669, 2019.
16. H. Wang, L. Ouyang, G. Zou,* C. Sun, J. Hu,* X. Xiao, L. Gao*, Optimizing MoS2 Edges by Alloying Isovalent W for Robust Hydrogen Evolution Activity, ACS Catalysis, 8, 9529-9536, 2018.
17. H. Wang, L. Gao*, Recent developments in electrochemical hydrogen evolution reaction, Current Opinion in Electrochemistry, 7, 7-14, 2018.
18. H. Jia, W. Zhu, Z. Xu, X. Nie, T. Liu, L. Gao*, J. Zhao*, Precursor Effects on Structural Ordering and Electrochemical Performances of Ni-rich Layered LiNi0.8Co0.2O2 Cathode Materials for High-rate Lithium Ion Batteries, Electrochim. Acta, 266, 7-16, 2018.
19. H. Wang, Y. Cao, C. Sun, G. Zou,* J. Huang, X. Kuai, J. Zhao, L. Gao*, Strongly Coupled Molybdenum Carbide on Carbon Sheets as a Bifunctional Electrocatalyst for Overall Water Splitting, ChemSusChem, 10, 3540-3546, 2017.
20. J. Zhao, R. Huang, P. Ramos, Y. Yue, Q. Wu, M. Pavanello, J. Zhou, X. Kuai, L. Gao,*, H. He,*, Y. Wang*, Structural Transformation of Li-Excess Cathode Materials via Facile Preparation and Assembly of Sonication-Induced Colloidal Nanocrystals for Enhanced Lithium Storage Performance, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 9, 31181-31191, 2017.
21. J. Jiang, W. Yang, H. Wang, Y. Zhao, J. Guo, J. Zhao*, M. Beidaghi*, L. Gao*, Electrochemical Performances of MoO2/C Nanocomposite for Sodium Ion Storage: An Insight into Rate Dependent Charge/Discharge Mechanism, Electrochim. Acta, 240, 379-387, 2017.
22. Z. Deng, T. Liu, T. Chen, J. Jiang, W. Yang, J. Guo, J Zhao*, H. Wang*, L. Gao*, Enhanced Electrochemical Performances of Bi2O3/rGO Nanocomposite via Chemical Bonding as Anode Materials for Lithium Ion Batteries, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 9, 12469-12477, 2017.
23. H. Wang, Y. Cao, G. Zou* Q. Yi, J. Guo, L. Gao*, High-Performance Hydrogen Evolution Electrocatalyst Derived from Ni3C Nanoparticles Embedded in a Porous Carbon Network, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 9, 60-64, 2017.
24. J. Zhao*, H. Wang, Z. Xie, S. Ellis, X. Kuai, J. Guo, X. Zhu, Y. Wang*, L. Gao*, Tailorable electrochemical performance of spinel cathode materials via in-situ integrating a layered Li2MnO3 phase for lithium-ion batteries, J. Power Sources, 333, 43-52, 2016.
25. W. Yang, H. Wang, T. Liu, L. Gao*, A Bi2S3@CNT nanocomposite as anode material for sodium ion batteries, Mater. Lett., 167, 102-105, 2016.
26. B. Zhu, Z. Deng, W. Yang, H. Wang, L. Gao*, Pyrolyzed polyaniline and graphene nano sheet composite with improved rate and cycle performance for lithium storage, Carbon, 92, 354-361, 2015.
27. T. Liu, Y. Zhao, L. Gao*, J. Ni*, Engineering Bi2O3-Bi2S3 heterostructure for superior lithium storage, Sci. Reports, 5, 9307, 2015.
28. H. Zhang; L. Gao*; Y. Gong*, Exfoliated MoO3 nanosheets for high-capacity lithium storage, Electrochem. Comm., 52, 67-70, 2015.
29. D. Yuan; W. Yang; J. Ni; L. Gao*, Sandwich structured MoO2@TiO2@CNT nanocomposites with high-rate performance for lithium ion batteries, Electrochim. Acta, 163, 57-63, 2015.
30. Y. Wang, B. Zhu, J. Ni, L. Zhang, H. Wang,* L. Gao*, Pyrolyzed Polyaniline Graphene Nanosheets with Enhanced Lithium Storage Properties: Preparation and Characterization, ChemElectroChem, 1, 951-956, 2014.
31. J. Liu, J. Ni*, Y. Zhao, H. Wang, L. Gao*, Grapecluster-like Fe3O4/C@CNT nanostructures with stable Li-storage capability, J. Mater. Chem. A, 1, 12879-12884, 2013.
32. J. Ni, W. Liu, J. Liu, L. Gao*, J. Chen*, Investigation on a 3.2 V LiCoPO4/Li4Ti5O12 full battery, Electrochem. Comm. 35 1-4, 2013.
33. L. Zhao, J. Ni*, H. Wang, L. Gao*, Na0.44MnO2-CNT electrodes for non-aqueous sodium batteries, RSC Adv., 3, 6650-6655, 2013.
34. G. Wang, J. Ni*, H. Wang, L. Gao*, High-performance CNT-wired MoO3 nanobelts for Li-storage application, J. Mater. Chem. A, 1(12), 4112-4118, 2013.
35. X. Liu, N. Zhang, J. Ni, L. Gao*, Improved electrochemical performance of sol-gel method prepared Na4Mn9O18 in aqueous hybrid Na-ion supercapacitor, J. Solid State Electrochem., 17, 1939-1944, 2013.
36. J. Ni*, Y. Huang, L. Gao*, A high-performance hard carbon for Li-ion batteries and supercapacitors application, J. Power Sources, 223, 306-311, 2013.
37. 王永琛; 倪江锋; 王海波; 高立军*; 胡道中; 王子冬, 锂离子电池一致性分选方法, 储能科学与技术，05期, 522-527, 2013.
38. J. Ni*, Y. Han, J. Liu, H. Wang, L. Gao*, Improving Electrochemical Properties of LiCoPO4 by Mn Substitution: A Case Research on LiCo0.5Mn0.5PO4, ECS Electrochem. Lett., 2(1), A3-A5, 2012.
39. J. Ni, L. Gao*, L. Lu*, Carbon coated lithium cobalt phosphate for Li-ion batteries: comparison of three coating techniques, J. Power Sources, 221, 35-41, 2013.
40. J. Ni, H. Wang, L. Gao*, L. Lu,*, A high-performance LiCoPO4/C core/shell composite for Li-ion batteries, Electrochim. Acta, 70, 349-354, 2012.
41. T. Li, L. Gao*, A high capacity graphene nano-sheet material with capacitive characteristics for the anode of lithium-ion batteries, J. Solid State Electrochem., 16, 557-561, 2012.
42. J. Ni, L. Gao*, Effect of copper doping on LiMnO4 prepared via hydrothermal route, J. Power Sources, 196, 6498-6501, 2011.
43. S. Zhao, F. Wu, L. Yang, L. Gao*, A.F. Burke*, A measurement method for determination of DC internal resistance of batteries and supercapacitors, Electrochem. Comm., 12, 242-245, 2010.
44. L. Yang, L. Gao*, Synthesis and characterization of Li4Ti5O12/C composite as negative electrode material of Li-ion battery, J. Alloys Comp., 485, 93-97, 2009.
45. N. Yu, L. Gao*, S. Zhao, Z. Wang, “Electrodeposited PbO2 thin film as positive electrode in PbO2/AC hybrid capacitor”, Electrochim. Acta, 54, 3835-3841, 2009.
46. N. Yu, L. Gao*, Electrodeposited PbO2 thin film on Ti electrode for application in hybrid supercapacitor, Electrochem. Comm., 11, 220-222, 2009.
47. L. Gao*, A. Peng, Z. Wang, H. Zhang, Z. Shi, Z. Gu, G. Cao and B. Ding, Growth of aligned carbon nanotube arrays on metallic substrate and its application to supercapacitors, Solid State Comm., 146, 380-383, 2008.
48. D. Zhou, L. Gao*, Effect of Electrochemical preparation methods on structure and properties of PbO2 anodic layer, Electrochim. Acta, 35/4, 2060-2064, 2007.
49. L. Gao, P. Ma, K. Novogradecz and P.R. Norton, Characterization of permalloy thin films electrodeposited on Si(111) surfaces, J. Appl. Phys., 81(11), 7595, 1997.
50. L. Gao, S. Qian and B.E. Conway, Arsenic poisoning effects on cathodic polarization and H adsorption at Pt and steel electrodes in KF·2HF melts, J. Appl. Electrochem., 26, 803, 1996.
51. L. Gao, B.E. Conway, Poison effects of arsenic species on H adsorption and kinetic behavior of the H2 evolution reaction at Pt in KOH solution, J. Electroanal. Chem., 395, 261, 1995.
52. L. Gao, G.. Anderson, P.R. Norton, Z-H. Lu, J.P. McCaffrey and M.J. Graham, Electrodeposition and characterization of magnetic Ni-Fe thin films on n-InP(100) surfaces, J. Appl. Phys., 78(9), 5795, 1995.
53. L. Gao, G. Anderson, P.R. Norton, Z-H. Lu and M.J. Graham, Surface topography and composition of InP(100) after various sulphur treatments, J. Vac. Sci. Tech. B, 13(5), 2053, 1995.
54. L. Gao, S. Qian, B.E. Conway, Electrolyte wetting effects in the comparative polarization behavior of the H2 evolution reaction at Ni-Mo-Cd electrodes in KF·2HF and KOH·2H2O melts, J. Appl. Electrochem., 25(1), 6, 1995.
55. L. Gao, J.A. Bardwell, Z.H. Lu, M.J. Graham and P.R. Norton, Anodic passivation of p-InP(100) in (NH4)2Sx solution, J. Electrochem. Soc., 142(1), L14, 1995.
56. L. Gao and B.E. Conway, Absorption and adsorption of H in the H2 evolution reaction, and the effects of co-adsorbed poisons, Electrochim. Acta, 39, 1681, 1994.
57. L. Bai, L. Gao, B.E. Conway, The problem of in-situ real-area determination in the evaluation of performance rough or porous, gas-evolving electrocatalysts; Part II: Unfolding of the electrochemically accessible surface of rough or porous electrodes: a case-study with an electrodeposited porous Pt electrode, J. Chem. Soc., Faraday Trans., 89, 243, 1993.
58. L. Bai, L. Gao, B.E. Conway, The problem of in-situ real-area determination in evaluation of performance of rough or porous, gas-evolving electrocatalysts; Part I: Basis for distinction between capacitance of the double-layer and the pseudo-capacitance due to adsorbed H in the H2 evolution reaction at Pt, J. Chem. Soc., Faraday Trans., 89, 235, 1993.
59. L. Gao, Determination of effective surface area of porous, gas-evolving electrocatalysts from potential-relaxation transients, J. Electrochem. Soc., Interface, Vol.2, No.3, 58, 1993.
60. S.M. Cai, L. Gao, L. Su, J. Zhang, L. Chen and A. Fujishima, Phenomena of weak electroluminescence of iron and other metal electrodes and their application potentiality in electrochemical research, Electrochim. Acta, 36, 1591, 1991.